Kiev-Pechersk Lavra

Kievo Pechersk Lavra

On the banks of the Dnieper River, rising on the river hills, there are churches and cathedrals - this is the monastery complex Kievo-Pechersk Lavra. The initial mention of this complex dates back to the 11th century; in 1051, the first monks settled in this area, digging caves for themselves. That is why the churches began to be called Pechersk (from Ukrainian “pechera” - cave), and the honorary name Lavra came to the churches later, when the monastery complex was relatively upset and already housed several churches.

The birth of Laurels is associated with the monk Anthony, who returned from Holy Mount Athos and settled in a cave near the small princely village of Berestovo, located between the hills. Later they began to be called Far Caves. Previously, this very cave was equipped by monk Hilarion, the spiritual mentor of Yaroslav the Wise. He subsequently left the cave and accepted the title of metropolitan. In the history of the Orthodox faith, he was the first metropolitan of Russian origin.

Antony spent day and night in prayer, performing his spiritual feat. People began to reach out to him for wise advice; all the Kiev nobility came to him for his blessing. And those who strove for God prayed with Anthony and asked to stay. This is how the Pechersk Monastery began to form. The number of monks near Anthony grew, and when it reached 12 people, Anthony moved to another cave located on a nearby hill. Subsequently, this cave served as the basis for the construction of a whole complex of caves, which became known as Blizhnye.

Antony's number of students and followers constantly grew, they built new cells. And churches were built for prayers. This is how the Assumption Church appeared. The territory on which all these caves and churches were located was constantly increasing. In 1062, the monastery complex began to be called Pechersk. When Anthony died, he was buried here in the cave.

Kievo Pechersk Lavra - a monument of Orthodoxy

In the 12th century, with the participation of invited Greek architects and artists, the Gate Church was erected in honor of the Holy Trinity, which has remained in excellent condition to this day. During the Batu invasion, the monastery complex suffered greatly from robberies, pogroms and fires. Most of the monks were killed, and only a small part of them managed to escape. Therefore, until the 14th century there is almost no historical data about this Orthodox shrine. After the reconstruction of the temples, the Lavra was again attacked by the Crimean Khan Mengli I Geray.

In addition to raids and devastation, the Kievo-Pechersk Lavra was subjected to Catholicization, but due to the high moral principles of the monks, their true commitment to the Orthodox faith, the complex managed to survive.

Later, the first printing house appeared on the territory of the Orthodox Lavra, which at that time was the largest in the entire area, and the icon-painting workshop was famous for its icons far beyond the temple.

In 1718, the Orthodox monastery faced another test. A terrible all-consuming fire destroyed almost all existing wooden buildings, including library and archive buildings. And only at the beginning of the 18th century the monks began to restore the monastery again. At the same time, the highest bell tower in the temple was erected - the Great Lavra Bell Tower. Its height is almost 97 meters.

In the 19th century, the monastery consisted of: the Main Church, two caves (Near and Far), the Hospital Monastery, the Kitaevskaya and Goloseevskaya wastelands. This Orthodox monastery suffered great losses during the revolution that took place in 1917, as well as during the Second World War. But churches and monasteries practically never stopped working, people prayed in them, and people constantly came here.

Many famous names are associated with this Orthodox place, prominent figures and healers. The chronicler Nestor, the artist Alypius, the healer Pyotr Mogila, and Pyotr Stolypin is also buried on the territory of the temple.

Today Kievo-Pechersk Lavra is not only a monastery complex in Kyiv, but a real architectural monument of the Orthodox faith, a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people, which is included in the UNESCO list of monuments of world significance.

Home » Ukraine » Kiev-Pechersk Lavra

Contacts

    Life Plus
    Academician Grekova street 12
    04112 Kyiv, Ukraine
    Telephone:+380677200015
    Our coordinates
    50.4733 N 30.4429 E

    support @ life-plus.center